How do I create different pricing for my Big Cartel product options?
The functionality defined below is deprecated. All Aarfie themes purchased from 27th April 2011 have this functionality stripped in favour of Big Cartel’s native variable pricing system. Premium themes include additional custom option for the display of price ranges.
Please check your theme readme file to ensure your theme includes Aarfie’s variable pricing system before proceeding with these instructions.
Understanding Aarfie’s Variable Pricing System
Aarfie’s variable pricing system works by using one of your Big Cartel products to define a single option that can be used throughout your shop. We call such a product, an “option-product”. For example, if you have a T-Shirt shop you might create the option-products, “Small”, “Medium” and “Large”. These option-products are hidden from the customer’s view and are used to define the price and shipping for the option they represent.
From the above description you can see that option-products are extremely useful for shops that have a number of products with common options. Using the same T-Shirt shop example, we might set the option-product prices as Small = $18.00, Medium = $20.00 and Large = $22.00. We can then apply these option-products to multiple products, so that all T-Shirts in the shop display the option pricing as Small = $18.00, Medium = $20.00 and Large = $22.00.
Option-products can also make price changes much more manageable, in our example we can change the price of all “Small” t-shirts in the shop simply by changing the price of the one option-product “Small”.
So far, our T-Shirt shop has used up only 3 of its available shop products to create an option system. As the shop’s priced product options increase, the greater this number will become. Let’s say our T-Shirt shop starts selling Jackets, also in small, medium and large; each priced differently. We now need to create three more option-products for the Jacket size. We can not duplicate our product names but we need the names to still make sense when viewed in the cart, so we create the new option-products “Small Jacket” = $50.00, “Medium Jacket” = $60.00 and “Large Jacket” = $70.00.
Between out t-shirt and our jacket product options we have now taken up 6 of our shop products. This highlights the reason Aarfie’s Variable Pricing System may not be well-suited for shops that have many product options with different pricing; for such shops the system still works, but a significantly large number of products may be used up by option-products.
Create A Product
Creating a product that will have different priced options is achieved in exactly the same way as adding any other product to your shop via your Big Cartel Products admin section. This means your existing products do not require any editing in order to apply priced options to them.
It is important to note however, that if you assign a product only one option with the name “Default” then the pricing and options of this product will be completely ignored once you add your priced options.
Alternatively, if you wish to make use of a products pricing and options in the standard way, as well as additional priced options, then you need to have one or more product options with names other than “Default”.
For example, setting the following options for a product (in this example a print):
Will result in the following product options:
Note that the options 4″ x 4″ Print, 5″ x 5″ Print and 6″ x 6″ Print were added directly via the product edit page and have the same price; all as expected with the standard Big Cartel option system.
The other two options, 20″ x 50″ Famed Print and 30″ x 80″ Framed Print, are added via option-products as detailed in the article sections below.
Alternatively, if our product had the default option setting, i.e. a single option named “Default”:
Then this option is ignored, and only the priced product options will be displayed:
Create An Option-Product
To create an option-product, you add a new product via your Big Cartel Products admin section in the same way you add a normal product but noting the following:
- The name of your option-product should be the option name you want to display publicly, e.g. “Small”. Also keep in mind that you can not repeat an option-product name, so if you need the same option with different pricing be more specific with your naming, e.g. “Small T-Shirt”, “Small Jacket”, “Small Bag”, etc.
- The price of the option-product will be the price used for all products assigned this option. Marking the option-product as “On-Sale” will have no effect, leave it unchecked
- The description of your option-product is not used, leave it blank.
- An option-product status must be set to Active if it is ready to be applied. If it is marked Sold Out, the option will be sold out across all products assigned to it.
- An option-product must be added to the category “x Options” and only this category. If this category is not available, you need to create it using the name exactly as “x Options”. Refer to support article How do I add a product category to my Big Cartel shop?
- An option-product’s options is where you assign it to your normal shop products. See the following article section for more information.
- The shipping prices of the option-product will be the shipping prices used for all products added to the cart with this option.
- An option-product’s images are not used.
IMPORTANT: Once you have created an option-product, drag it to the very bottom of your product list. This will ensure that it is hidden correctly and your normal products are displayed with the proper number per page.
The order in which you arrange your option-products at the bottom of the product list, is the order in which they will be displayed on your product pages.
Assigning a Priced Option to a Product
To tie a product and an option-product together, we use the Options section of the option-product’s edit controls. For example, we have created a new product named My New Print and we want to tie it to our option-product 30″ x 80″ Framed Print. First we select the option-product 30″ x 80″ Framed Print from our product list:
Scrolling to the Options section of our product edit controls, we enter the product name My New Print (ensuring that we exactly match the product name) as a new option, also setting stock if applicable:
Click the Save button when you have finished adding product names. We then repeat the process for other option-products to be tied to our product My New Print.
Last Modified: 15th December, 2010
Other ‘Big Cartel’ Articles...
- How do I install my Big Cartel theme?
- I think my Big Cartel theme is broken
- Getting started with your new Big Cartel shop
- How do I use the Custom Options for my Big Cartel theme?
- How do I change my Big Cartel shop layout colours?
- How do I change my Big Cartel Sexy theme to a 4 column layout?
- How do I widen my Big Cartel Blocks theme layout?
- How do I add a slide show to my Big Cartel home page?
- How do I edit my Big Cartel theme fonts?
- Can I upload my own logo to my Big Cartel theme?
- Can I create a custom contact page for my Big Cartel shop?
- Do I need Big Cartel if I have an Etsy Shop?
- How do I increase the font size of the top-most navigation in the Uptown or Heartbreaker theme?
- How do I translate my Big Cartel theme to another language?
- Does Aarfie offer customisation services for my theme?
- How do I link my Facebook Like button to my Facebook Page?
- How do I set up a custom domain in my Big Cartel admin?
- How do I add code to the head of my Big Cartel theme?
- Can I move my slide show to a different page?
- How do I insert an image into my Big Cartel shop page?
- How do I add a newsletter subscription form to my Big Cartel theme?
- How do I add a page to my Big Cartel shop?
- How do I add a FAQ page to my Big Cartel shop?
- How do I add a custom home page to my Big Cartel shop?
- How do I add a blog to my Big Cartel shop?
- How do I remove the View All link from my Big Cartel theme menu?
- How do I add custom links to my Big Cartel theme menus?
- How do I add a link from my Big Cartel shop back to my web site or blog?
- How do I add a favicon to my Big Cartel shop?
- How do I work with my Big Cartel theme recommended image size?
- How do I add a background image to my Big Cartel theme?
- Where do I add custom style coding in my Big Cartel theme controls?
- How do I change the number of products per page displayed in my Big Cartel shop?
- How do I use the basic options for my Big Cartel theme?
- How do I manage my categories and sub-categories in Big Cartel?
- How do I add a product category to my Big Cartel shop?
- How do I add a product subcategory to my Big Cartel shop?
- How do I get my Aarfie Big Cartel theme?
- How do I get e-mail for my Big Cartel shop?
- How do I get a domain for my Big Cartel shop?
- Does Aarfie's Big Cartel theme installation service include slide show set up?
- Does Aarfie offer design or development for shopping platforms other than Big Cartel?
- Do I need a web site if I have a Big Cartel shop?
- Where do I get a custom Big Cartel theme?
- What is Big Cartel?
- How do I edit the social links in my Big Cartel shop?
- Big Cartel CSS Upgrade and Aarfie Theme Colour Settings
- How do I align my header image or logo?
- Why is there no Success file in my theme package?
- How do I hide the product title and price on my products page?
- Will my new Big Cartel theme affect my products?
- Can I customise my Big Cartel product search results?
- How do I remove the Contact link from my Big Cartel Page menu?
- How do I control the page navigation in my Big Cartel shop?
- Can I swap my Big Cartel theme for a different one?
- How do I set up a custom domain for my Big Cartel shop?
- How do I use the light box viewer with custom content?
- How do I create a second slide show for my Big Cartel shop?