Do I need a web site if I have a Big Cartel shop?
Using solely a Big Cartel shop account to power your project is suitable for many cases, however adding a web site brings advanced features that may be worth the additional cost, depending upon your requirements.
Because your shop and its product controls remain the same with or without a web site, your need for a web site is determined by your requirements of the pages that you want to coexist with your core shop.
Generally speaking, if you only require a few pages outside of your shop with simple text content that will be updated infrequently, then you probably don’t need a web site. Such pages might include a contact, about and FAQ page.
On the other hand, if your web space requires more complex sections like a blog or press page, then adding a web site is your best option.
Use the following table to help you decide.
|Big Cartel Shop||Big Cartel Shop and Aarfie Web Site|
|The world’s easiest to use shop and product management with Big Cartel.|
|Unlimited custom pages allowed. Content is entered as plain text and adding styling requires at least basic HTML and CSS knowledge.||Unlimited custom pages allowed. Content can be added easily via web-based controls and styled with no HTML or CSS knowledge required.|
|Limited page content management system means special purpose pages need to be coded and updated manually.||Flexible content management system means special purpose pages (e.g. portfolio, press, etc.) can be maintained with minimal effort and no coding required.|
|Inserting media (e.g. images) into your pages requires uploading of your media to a 3rd party storage service and HTML coding to display the media within your page.||Media can be uploaded and inserted in-house within your page edit controls; no coding required. Your site includes media tools for sorting, editing and naming your files.|
|Does not include a blog. You can use a 3rd party blog application (e.g. Tumblr) and link to it from your shop. With a Domain & E-mail For Big Cartel you can display your blog at http://blog.your-name.com/||Provides a professional-level blog at your domain, with tightly integrated look and navigation with your shop. Maximises the “one-site” feel of your web space and provides powerful tools for creating and sorting blog posts.|
|Includes basic dynamic site map and SEO that you can set and forget.||Includes advanced dynamic site map and SEO that you can set and forget. The Aarfie Platform provides significantly higher SEO for your non-shop content.|
|Achieving advanced functionality is limited by Big Cartel’s platform.||Removes the limitations on creating custom solutions for your project. Advanced functionality can be developed to suit your needs.|
Last Modified: 6th June, 2011
Other ‘Big Cartel’ Articles...
- How do I install my Big Cartel theme?
- I think my Big Cartel theme is broken
- Getting started with your new Big Cartel shop
- How do I use the Custom Options for my Big Cartel theme?
- How do I change my Big Cartel shop layout colours?
- How do I change my Big Cartel Sexy theme to a 4 column layout?
- How do I widen my Big Cartel Blocks theme layout?
- How do I add a slide show to my Big Cartel home page?
- How do I edit my Big Cartel theme fonts?
- Can I upload my own logo to my Big Cartel theme?
- Can I create a custom contact page for my Big Cartel shop?
- Do I need Big Cartel if I have an Etsy Shop?
- How do I increase the font size of the top-most navigation in the Uptown or Heartbreaker theme?
- How do I translate my Big Cartel theme to another language?
- Does Aarfie offer customisation services for my theme?
- How do I link my Facebook Like button to my Facebook Page?
- How do I set up a custom domain in my Big Cartel admin?
- How do I create different pricing for my Big Cartel product options?
- How do I add code to the head of my Big Cartel theme?
- Can I move my slide show to a different page?
- How do I insert an image into my Big Cartel shop page?
- How do I add a newsletter subscription form to my Big Cartel theme?
- How do I add a page to my Big Cartel shop?
- How do I add a FAQ page to my Big Cartel shop?
- How do I add a custom home page to my Big Cartel shop?
- How do I add a blog to my Big Cartel shop?
- How do I remove the View All link from my Big Cartel theme menu?
- How do I add custom links to my Big Cartel theme menus?
- How do I add a link from my Big Cartel shop back to my web site or blog?
- How do I add a favicon to my Big Cartel shop?
- How do I work with my Big Cartel theme recommended image size?
- How do I add a background image to my Big Cartel theme?
- Where do I add custom style coding in my Big Cartel theme controls?
- How do I change the number of products per page displayed in my Big Cartel shop?
- How do I use the basic options for my Big Cartel theme?
- How do I manage my categories and sub-categories in Big Cartel?
- How do I add a product category to my Big Cartel shop?
- How do I add a product subcategory to my Big Cartel shop?
- How do I get my Aarfie Big Cartel theme?
- How do I get e-mail for my Big Cartel shop?
- How do I get a domain for my Big Cartel shop?
- Does Aarfie's Big Cartel theme installation service include slide show set up?
- Does Aarfie offer design or development for shopping platforms other than Big Cartel?
- Where do I get a custom Big Cartel theme?
- What is Big Cartel?
- How do I edit the social links in my Big Cartel shop?
- Big Cartel CSS Upgrade and Aarfie Theme Colour Settings
- How do I align my header image or logo?
- Why is there no Success file in my theme package?
- How do I hide the product title and price on my products page?
- Will my new Big Cartel theme affect my products?
- Can I customise my Big Cartel product search results?
- How do I remove the Contact link from my Big Cartel Page menu?
- How do I control the page navigation in my Big Cartel shop?
- Can I swap my Big Cartel theme for a different one?
- How do I set up a custom domain for my Big Cartel shop?
- How do I use the light box viewer with custom content?
- How do I create a second slide show for my Big Cartel shop?