Big Cartel CSS Upgrade and Aarfie Theme Colour Settings
Big Cartel’s recent CSS upgrade has temporarily removed the ability to set Aarfie Theme colours using the Simple Colour Picker described in the support article How do I use the basic options for my Big Cartel theme?
You may see a Colour Picker interface in your Design > Basics admin area, however setting these colours will have no affect upon your Aarfie Theme. Until Big Cartel addresses this issue, you must now set your theme colours manually as detailed in the relevant section below.
Big Cartel has indicated that they are working on a new system to resolve this issue, however they can not currently provide an ETA. We will post further information as soon as it becomes available.
Some good news however; the new system will allow Aarfie to expand the basic interface to make using your theme’s Custom Options even easier.
As usual, theme updates will be available to all existing theme users for free. Once Big Cartel has implemented their new system, and Aarfie has incorporated it into their themes throughout, the updated version of your theme will become available for download using your original order download link (or contacting Aarfie support if your order included installation).
Manually Setting Theme Colours
If your admin area displays a Colour Picker interface, please ignore it until the above-described issue is resolved. This Colour Picker interface has no affect upon your theme.
To manually set your theme colours in your Big Cartel admin area, you must first navigate to your Design > Basics section, and click the CSS button at the top right of the Basics controls.
Scroll through the section titled “Basic Styles – used for the simple controls.” and refer to the “/* @gui */” headings to find the element you wish to change the colour for. For example, changing the page background from white to black, we locate the Page Background title:
then change the hex colour values to black:
Note that this example had two hex values to change under the title “/* @gui Page Background */”. The number of hex values to change will vary for each title.
When changing the hex value, always ensure that you have left the leading hash and the trailing semi-colon in place, i.e.
You can now repeat the above process for each element, as you wish, and finally save your changes by clicking the Save button at the bottom of the admin page.
To choose hex colour values refer to the w3schools.com hex colour resources or use the tool below to define your own custom values.
Last Modified: 5th August, 2011
Other ‘Big Cartel’ Articles...
- How do I install my Big Cartel theme?
- I think my Big Cartel theme is broken
- Getting started with your new Big Cartel shop
- How do I use the Custom Options for my Big Cartel theme?
- How do I change my Big Cartel shop layout colours?
- How do I change my Big Cartel Sexy theme to a 4 column layout?
- How do I widen my Big Cartel Blocks theme layout?
- How do I add a slide show to my Big Cartel home page?
- How do I edit my Big Cartel theme fonts?
- Can I upload my own logo to my Big Cartel theme?
- Can I create a custom contact page for my Big Cartel shop?
- Do I need Big Cartel if I have an Etsy Shop?
- How do I increase the font size of the top-most navigation in the Uptown or Heartbreaker theme?
- How do I translate my Big Cartel theme to another language?
- Does Aarfie offer customisation services for my theme?
- How do I link my Facebook Like button to my Facebook Page?
- How do I set up a custom domain in my Big Cartel admin?
- How do I create different pricing for my Big Cartel product options?
- How do I add code to the head of my Big Cartel theme?
- Can I move my slide show to a different page?
- How do I insert an image into my Big Cartel shop page?
- How do I add a newsletter subscription form to my Big Cartel theme?
- How do I add a page to my Big Cartel shop?
- How do I add a FAQ page to my Big Cartel shop?
- How do I add a custom home page to my Big Cartel shop?
- How do I add a blog to my Big Cartel shop?
- How do I remove the View All link from my Big Cartel theme menu?
- How do I add custom links to my Big Cartel theme menus?
- How do I add a link from my Big Cartel shop back to my web site or blog?
- How do I add a favicon to my Big Cartel shop?
- How do I work with my Big Cartel theme recommended image size?
- How do I add a background image to my Big Cartel theme?
- Where do I add custom style coding in my Big Cartel theme controls?
- How do I change the number of products per page displayed in my Big Cartel shop?
- How do I use the basic options for my Big Cartel theme?
- How do I manage my categories and sub-categories in Big Cartel?
- How do I add a product category to my Big Cartel shop?
- How do I add a product subcategory to my Big Cartel shop?
- How do I get my Aarfie Big Cartel theme?
- How do I get e-mail for my Big Cartel shop?
- How do I get a domain for my Big Cartel shop?
- Does Aarfie's Big Cartel theme installation service include slide show set up?
- Does Aarfie offer design or development for shopping platforms other than Big Cartel?
- Do I need a web site if I have a Big Cartel shop?
- Where do I get a custom Big Cartel theme?
- What is Big Cartel?
- How do I edit the social links in my Big Cartel shop?
- How do I align my header image or logo?
- Why is there no Success file in my theme package?
- How do I hide the product title and price on my products page?
- Will my new Big Cartel theme affect my products?
- Can I customise my Big Cartel product search results?
- How do I remove the Contact link from my Big Cartel Page menu?
- How do I control the page navigation in my Big Cartel shop?
- Can I swap my Big Cartel theme for a different one?
- How do I set up a custom domain for my Big Cartel shop?
- How do I use the light box viewer with custom content?
- How do I create a second slide show for my Big Cartel shop?