An introduction to your Web Page
Aarfie will provide your site log in details to you via e-mail as part of your site handover. These details will consist of:
- Your site log in URL – typically in the format http://your-site-name.com/wp-admin/
- Your username
- Your password
To log in to your site admin, go to your log in URL and enter your username and password.
If you check the “Remember Me” option before logging in, this will keep you logged in to your site between sessions on your computer. You should not check this option if you are using someone else’s computer.
A “lost your password?” link is also provided on this page for you to reset your password if you have forgotten it.
Admin Controls and Help
When you log in to your site admin for the first time, you will notice that the main navigation for your admin area is provided via a left side navigation bar. The controls in your admin area include descriptions and are very clear and easy to use.
To learn more about any of the controls, help is always available at the top right of your admin area. The documentation linked from help is extremely useful and changes according to the control page you are on. You can also open the Aarfie Support site by using the link in the footer of your admin area.
We refer to a top level section as a “main-menu”, and we use the ” >” to denote a sub-section of a main-menu, i.e. “sub-menu”. For example: The Appearance > Background controls are used to edit your site background colour and image.
Your First Log In
During your first log in, you should carry out the following items:
- Proceed to the Users main-menu and fill out your profile information. Note that current and accurate profile information is required, and your site will not go live until this information has been entered.
- Again at the Users main-menu, personalise your access password using the controls at the bottom of your profile page. Please ensure that your password strength indicator shows “strong” to ensure maximum security.
- Click the Update Profile button once your changes are complete.
- Proceed to the Settings > Site Details sub-menu, edit your Site Title and Tagline and click the Save Changes button. Both of these items will be used in the HTML title of your web page. Note that your Tagline is optional and you can leave this field blank to omit it from your HTML title.
- If you wish to log the traffic to your site, proceed to the Settings > Analytics sub-menu and enter your Google Analytics code in accordance with the instructions included with these controls. Click the Save Changes button when done.
Your initial site set up is now complete, and you are ready to add your own content and customise your web page appearance.
Content and Appearance
Your Appearance menu items are used to control your site’s content and appearance. You can review and edit these controls as and when required to suit your needs.
Your main body content is entered in the Body Text field in your Appearance > Content sub-menu. You can enter plain text as well as HTML in this field. Refer to the other articles in this category for further support (listed at the end of this article).
Always click the Save Changes button after making any changes to your settings.
The Tools main-menu provides you with quick links to useful tools associated with your site. For information on these tools, please refer to the relevant Aarfie Support articles, including:
Last Modified: 8th February, 2011